Inspired by and created by Erica from a vegan tastes better.
Serves 2 people
prep time: 5 mins - cook time: 35 minutes
- 1, 16oz bag of gluten-free pasta (We prefer Trader Joe’s brown rice pasta for $1.99)
- ½ cup reserved salted pasta water
- 5-6 oz. container of fresh spinach
For the lemon pepper veggies:
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 small ones), shredded
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and shredded
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
Please note: You can substitute the vegetables in this recipe for whatever you prefer or have on hand.
For the spicy sausage:
- 16 oz of your favorite vegan sausage or beef crumbles (we like Gardein)
Optional (but recommended) seasonings for the sausage:
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp fennel
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP agave
- 1 TBSP vinegar (we prefer red wine vinegar)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook your gluten free pasta until al dente, making sure to add a generous amount of salt to your boiling water. After cooking, reserve ½ cup of your salted pasta water for later.
Note: You DO NOT want to overcook this pasta as it will finish cooking in our sauce later.
- While your pasta is cooking, prepare your lemon pepper veggies.
- Shred your peeled carrots & zucchini, using a cheese grater works well.
Note: You can finely dice if you do not have a grater.
- To your veggies, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, black pepper and salt to taste. Let marinade.
- Now that your veggies are marinading and your pasta is done cooking (made sure to drain and do not rinse), you can prepare your spicy sausage.
- Brown the sausage in the same pot you used to cook the pasta. Add up to 1 TBSP of oil followed by the sausage crumbles and all your seasonings.
- After cooking for 5-6 minutes, your sausage should be nice and browned on all sides.
- To your pot, stir in the Cheddar Cheese Sauce and ½ cup of reserved pasta water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add your cooked pasta and lemon pepper veggies to the sausage and cheese sauce. Cook for 4-5 minutes, add in your spinach and cook for 1 more minute.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and dried herbs, enjoy!
- Lasts up to 4 days in the refrigerator, reheats great!
- The perfect meal prep dinner or family meal.
- Substitute whatever veggies you have in your fridge, you want at least 10 oz. worth of fresh veggies.